Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Dozen Dusty Books: Book Blogs and Art of Reading


MizB has initiated a wonderful To Be Read (TBR) challenge 2007.
2007 for me is about consistency, enjoyment and refining the art of reading. When I consider the endless, sexy titles that need to be read, I get swept up by the exhilarating rush of speed reading. However, it frustrates me that sometimes with my favorite books I forget important details. I know that’s an excuse to reread and rediscover, but I’d like to be conversant enough to share what I loved about it with someone else. Working in a bookstore, recommendations are constantly in order, but sometimes I hestitate to read something for fear of the question, ‘What’s it about?’. Helen Garner in The Feel of Steel elucidates her personal struggle with the gap between reading and memory. Do other people have this frustration, or do the scenes of the books you love stay with you long after the book is finished?

I began this blog out of voyeurism to peer over the reading shoulders of other book bloggers and to share my reading passion. Nominating my 2007 TBR dozen in advance is a chance to dust off old acquisitions which have been surpassed by fresh reads:

Murakami, Norwegian Wood
Ozeki, My Year of Meat
McCarthy, Cormac, All the Pretty Horses (given to me by a student in my philosophy class last year I want to read it before first semester begins)
Endo, Shusaka, Wonderful Fool (part of my foray into Japanese literature, must be read soon to circumvent library fees).
Astley, Thea, It’s Raining in Mango
Greene, Graham, The Quiet American (thanks to Sara)
Mitchell, David, Cloud Atlas
Auster, Paul, Book of Illusions
McEwan, Saturday
Hector Hugo Munro, Short Stories of Saki
Bulgakov, The Master and the Margharita (from my Banned Books collection)
Xinran, Good Women of China

9 comments:

Framed said...

What an interesting list. I've not heard of most of these so I will be looking forward to your reviews. Xinran and McEwan are on some of my other lists so hopefully I will get to them soon.

Anonymous said...

"The Quiet American" is a good book to read. Greene is best when he's writing these morally ambivalent stories.

"The Master and the Margharita" - Bulgakov is a must read for anyone interested in Russian lit. I read it last year and it was fun. Hope you enjoy it. Are you reading the Richard Revear transaltion?

Anonymous said...

Quite a lovely list! The Master and the Margharita has been one of my reading priorities as well since a coworker recommended it.

MissMiller said...

Framed, Thanks, I’ll try to review most of them. Have you read any other books by McEwan? I haven’t, but thought Saturday might be a good place to start.

Dark Orpheus, Yes it is the Pevear translation. It’s got an unusual cover design, with the shadows of a cat beheading a man.

Hi there sara, I’m really looking forward to the Master and Margharita now. I hope you enjoy it also.

Janelle Martin said...

This is a fascinating list! I've only read two of the books on your list: My Year of Meat and Book of Illusions. I have to admit that Book of Illusions made my top 10 list for 2006, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Lotus Reads said...

I, too, am using the TBR 2007 challenge and the winter classics challenge as a foray into Japanese literature. Not having too much luck, however. I have just finished "Some Prefer Nettles" by Junichiro Tanizaki and frankly, I'm not sure what to make of it yet!

Love your list - will stay tuned for the reviews.

MissMiller said...

Thanks Janelle, I read Book of Illusions but I found myself tiring of it towards the end. It wasn't as gripping as previous Auster reads have been.


Lotus, I have checked out your review of Some Prefer Nettles and it has my curiosity piqued.

Anonymous said...

I love reading various type of books!! I usually purchase similar type of books at most discounted prices from many branded stores at Couponalbum.com...!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!